Friday, April 5, 2013

Cold Steel Norman Sword VS Han Jian!

Cold Steel Norman Sword - a 1055 carbon steel blade put side by side with my Han Jian made in Damascus steel.  What do you think will happen? The Cold Steel Normal Sword feels great in hand but the guard seems to be too sharp and rigid edge for my hand. Probably I am not used to handling Euro swords? I don't know because I am new to this type of swords too. I know this is a post-vikings style sword and you can see the blood groove in the center is very classic looking too. I love that design there. From a Kung Fu background, I am trying to handle this sword the first time and comparing it with my Han Jian:


I am not going to comment on how the Cold Steel Norman Sword is compare to it's original antique, because it's meaningless to compare it that way. What I like is to handle these swords from Cold Steel and tell you what I can get out of the sword itself. What's the pros and cons are, what is the advantage of this design and balance, what is the bad side about it, etc.  People always say that Cold Steel is always made "too heavy" or "wrong balance" when you put the old antique side by side with Cold Steel. Hey, guess what, Cold Steel is not an antique replica company, they are a company that make good swords and knives for practical usage while having fun in giving you so many designs and options to choose from. If you want an exact replica, you can go elsewhere, because the exact replica can be not as good too.

Just like steel-science!  Steel in the past is not as good as the pure carbon steel we can have today due to the advancement in technology. Maybe in the past, people want to make longer swords too!  But due to the fact that the metal is not good enough, they can't do it. In today's technology world, we can do it!  That's why it's important to learn how to enjoy Cold Steel's swords and not to criticize it by using the old antique stuff to put it side by side and see how close they are like. If you do this, you miss out all the fun stuff.

I think this video shows you how different the edge is on the Cold Steel Norman Sword and the Han Jian. The Han Jian is much lighter in weight, and it's also sharpened to a sharper edge for fast cutting and slicing. Therefore it can chop the free-standing cardboard box in half with ease.  The Cold Steel Norman Sword is build for TOUGH use and it is not sharpen to a super scary sharp edge for fast cutting like this, but it can surely cut meat and bones with ease because of the weight. Now it's time to try this on a piggy, just like the Cold Steel guys, haha!  Enjoy my video!

No comments:

Post a Comment